1. That the Parliament of Catalonia expresses its recognition and congratulates itself for the enormous success achieved by the massive demonstration through the streets of Barcelona last September 11, under the slogan, "Catalonia, New State in Europe".
2. That the Parliament of Catalonia declares that over the last thirty years, an important majority of Catalanism has profoundly committed itself to the transformation of the Spanish State in order to fit better therein without having to renounce our legitimate national aspirations, our will for self-governance, nor our continued existence as a nation. But our attemps to fit Catalonia into the Spanish State and the latter's repeated responses are today a dead end. Catalonia must begin a new era based on the right to self-determination.
3. That for that reason the Parliament declares the need for Catalonia to forge its own path, noting the necessity of the People of Catalonia to decide on its collective future freely and democratically, in order to guarantee social progress, economic development, strengthened democracy, and the promotion of our own culture and language.
4. That the Parliament urges the Government of the Generalitat as well as political, economic, and social forces to come to the strongest consensus possible in order to bring this democratic process and the resulting strategic plan to fruition, while in communication with the international community, the European Union, and the Spanish Government, so that the citizenry of Catalonia can decide, with complete freedom, respect for plurality, vigorous debate, and democratic civility, and without coercion of any kind.
5. That the Parliament of Catalonia notes the need for the People of Catalonia to determine freely and democratically its collective future, and urges the government to hold a referendum at its earliest convenience during the next legislature.
The Palace of the Parliament, September 26, 2012